Print

The remarkable story of Wimbledon Station

12 January until 4 February 2017

A tale of development from pasture to platform and to what became 'New Wimbledon'

It charts the history of Wimbledon Station from its beginning as a  couple of isolated building in the middle of farm land, up to 1930 when ‘New Wimbledon’ – the area known now as the town centre became a well developed residential  complex with convenient access to central London and complete with the shops, warehouses and eateries necessary for suburban living.

The Exhibition reveals photogtaphic images and anecdotes plus a display of model engines, carriages, metal signs, signals and a mock-up of the original ticket office.

The story of the station - one of the the initial ‘wonders of Wimbledon’ tells of Heath Robinson style signalling, unfortunate accidents and dramatic discomfort for early traveller.