Curator's choice - portraits

Print

Richardson Evans (1846-1928)

richardson evansAn enthusiastic conservationist, campaigning in the 1880s and 1890s to limit intrusive advertising in the fields alongside railway lines, to save the view of the Thames from Richmond Hill, and to promote similar causes.  

He was the driving force behind the formation in 1903 of the John Evelyn Club (the name reflecting his admiration of John Evelyn’s love of nature, taste in art and ‘genial familiarity with the ways of men’), now called the Wimbledon Society, and ran it as secretary until 1920.  During this time he was much involved in saving the remaining part of the village green, creating a belt of open spaces along the river Wandle, and extending the Commons to preserve the fields beyond Beverley Brook.

He was a journalist in London, after a period as a District Officer in India.  In Wimbledon, he eventually made his home at the Keir, and later at 1 Camp View.