Photographs collection online

photographsThe collection of over 3,500 images ranges from replicas of earlier prints or drawings, through atmospheric snapshots depicting both town and country life, to more contemporary photographs of Wimbledon's history.

Monochrome Photograph
Accession number: LDWIM010375
Class: Photographs
Description: The All England Croquet and Lawn Tennis Club was founded in 1868 in Worple Road initially only as a Croquet Club, during a Croquet craze but it did not prosper until the new game of Lawn Tennis was added in 1877. This new event, initially consisting solely of gentlemen's singles, attracted only twenty-two players and a crowd of about two hundred. It subsequently flourished, hosting Olympic Tennis in 1908 and had to expand to new much bigger premises in Church Road in 1922. The old ground then became the sports ground of Wimbledon High School. The original grounds were situated on four acres of meadowland between Worple Road and the railway line. King George V, who donated the Men's Singles Trophy, and especially Queen Mary were keen supporters and are here seen visiting in 1913.  COPYRIGHT SILVER TENNIS COLLECTION
« Start Previous 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 Next End »