Manuscripts collection online

manuscriptsThe Manuscripts collection comprises documents relating to Wimbledon including: deeds to property; records of local associations; papers collected by or related to notable local residents; documents relating to the history of local military organisations and hospitals; and parish and vestry records.

File
Accession number: LDWIM000475
Class: Manuscripts
Description: File on metal clip relating to the purchase of Lot 51, Wimbledon House Estate, in 1912, and the building on it of Moyns House, No.34 Marryat Road, by T. Dudley Cocke Esq. The collection includes correspondence with Hampton & Sons re the purchase of this and other possible sites, and with the architect A.E. Watson regarding sites, plans, fixtures and fittings.  There is also a form of application to the Electricity Department of the Borough of Wimbledon for the supply of Electrical Energy.  
Circular
Accession number: LDWIM000476
Class: Manuscripts
Description: Circular giving particulars of the sale by the British Land Co. of freehold building plots in Murray Road ("the new road", part of the Wimbledon Lodge Estate) on 7 Dec.1905, including the contract of sale of Lot 23, with conditions of sale amended in pencil.  
Letter
Accession number: LDWIM000477
Class: Manuscripts
Description: 1.  Brickfields Envelope. Envelope of 1877 addressed to Prospect Cottages, Brickfields, Wimbledon. 2.  2 letters and 2 correspondence cards of October 1943, from F.J. Bonham to Miss Grant (Secretary, John Evelyn Society) concerning buildings in Thornton Road and South Road (later Denmark Road) used in the nineteenth century as Weslyan Chapels.  The building in Denmark Road was subsequently St. John's Church Hall and then Belgrave Hall, headquarters of the Belgrave Harriers.  
Papers
Accession number: LDWIM000478
Class: Manuscripts
Description: A collection of papers, printed, typed and in manuscript, which constitute the working papers of E. Williamson on changes in the Wimbledon Village Club's constitution between 1935 and 1946.  A detailed list of the contents is on the folder. It includes letters from the Hon. J.D. Casswell and Counsel's Opinion on the charitable status of the Club under the new constitution. (and See Also LDWIM000600. Village Club Minute Books).
Letter
Accession number: LDWIM000479
Class: Manuscripts
Description: Draft of a letter of 27 July 1867 to Earl Spencer from S.B. Robertson of Struan[?], Wimbledon Park, regarding Earl Spencer's proposal to make the Common over to the public, and suggesting a pamphlet setting out the facts of this donation, which had been misinterpreted and resented by many local people; together with Earl Spencer's acknowledgement (in his own hand) of letter and suggestion.  
Indenture
Accession number: LDWIM000480
Class: Manuscripts
Description: A9.2.1  Photocopy of Indenture made 11 April 1904 between Earl Spencer and Thomas Graham Jackson, Walter Dowson and Richardson Evans, members of the Committee of the John Evelyn Society, conveying to them a piece of land (near The Green) not included in the 1871 Commons Act, upon trust to convey it to the Commons Conservators, if so requested. (3 large sheets and map)   A9.2.2  Draft of a letter from a solicitor (apparently), undated and unsigned, to E.H. Cooper, Surveyor, Wimbledon Urban District Council, evidently concerning the land referred to above and making a claim for part of it on behalf of Mr.F.G. Minter, of Ferry Works, High Street, Putney: together with the draft of what appears to be a legal opinion on the ownership of this land. (4 foolscap sheets on back of printed lists of shareholders in Wimbledon Schools Building Committee).  
« Start Previous 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next End »