Manuscripts collection online

manuscriptsThe Manuscripts collection comprises documents relating to Wimbledon including: deeds to property; records of local associations; papers collected by or related to notable local residents; documents relating to the history of local military organisations and hospitals; and parish and vestry records.

Papers
Accession number: LDWIM000615
Class: Manuscripts
Description: The Richardson Evans Papers Part II. (Sixteen Transfer Cases). A collection of documents, correspondence, minute books, etc. relating to the Wimbledon Common Extension Scheme 1908-1914 (11 Transfer Cases) and the Memorial Garden Fund 1915-25 (2 Transfer Cases) together with 3 Transfer Cases containing relevant press cuttings. A detailed catalogue to all the contents is appended. Ia Guide to the files and folders. Ib R. Evans' letter 2 Sep 1920 introducing the papers. The origins of the John Evelyn Club. Wimbledon & Putney Commons Extension Fund: Council and Executive Committee. IIa Correspondence 1908. IIb Individual responses Jul-Dec 1908. IIc Acceptances of invitation to join Committee, including Sir Frederick Pollock, Sir George Newnes, Owen Seaman, Walter Crane, Dame Henrietta Barnett, Sir Alfred Bateman, Henry Chaplin. IId correspondence from Lord Archibald Campbell 1908-12. IIIa Main dossier 1909; IIIb Letters 1909. A volume of newspaper cuttings on Commons extension 1910-11. IVa The public appeal: pamphlets, circulars, subscription lists. IVb Attempt to obtain a public expression of support from the Princess of Wales [later Queen Mary]. IVc Appeals (1910) to: (a) Corporation of London; (b) London County Council; (c) Borough of Wandsworth; (d) Malden & Coombe UDC; (e) Merton UDC; (f) Surrey County Council; (g) Wimbledon Borough Council. IVd Appeals (1910) to golf clubs, City companies, transport companies, Territorials, etc. Va Correspondence (1910) with Extension Fund  officers, Conservators, FitzGeorge Estate. Vb Correspondence (1910) with individual supporters, subscribers, and critics. Vc Papers and correspondence in connection with Mansion House meeting 26 Apr 1910. VIa Correspondence (1911) with Extension Fund officers, Conservators, FitzGeorge Estate, independent valuer, Sir George Gibb. VIb Special appeals (1911): Residents, City companies, letter to Times, attempt to form London committee, bank branches. VIc Correspondence (1911) with individual subscribers, supporters and critics. VId (1911) Local authorities: (a) Wandsworth; (b) Wimbledon; (c) Malden & Coombe; (d) Merton; (e) Surrey County Council; (f) London County Council. VIe Dedication ceremony - memorial extension 25 July 1911. VIIa 1912. Report, subscription lists, list of members, pamphlets, circulars. VIIb 1912. London committee; City Corporation  City companies; VIIc Arterial road. VIId Borough of Wimbledon - controversy over grant. VIIe Local Government Board, Maldens & Coombe, Wimbledon. VIIIa 1912. Promoting visits from south Wimbledon. VIIIb 1912. Borough of Wandsworth - cemetery extension; Merton UDC, LCC, War Office. VIIIc 1912. Miscellaneous: legal, admin, etc. VIIId 1912. Correspondence with individual subscribers, supporters and critics; routine letters about attendance at meetings. VIIIe Dinner at the Saville Club 11 March 1912. IXa 1913-14. Printed reports, circular letters, pamphlets. IXb Arterial road. IXc 1913-14. Surrey County Council grant. IXd London County Council grant. IXe 1913-14. Correspondence with War Office, City institutions, commercial firms, newspapers. IXf Correspondence with individual subscribers, supporters and critics. IXg 1913-14. Wimbledon and Malden councils; conveyances, fencing; general. IXh 1913-14. Management of Extension lands. X - XI Wandsworth and Wimbledon Memorial Garden (Putney Vale). 1. Minutes of meetings; 2. Circulars, letters and papers; 3. Letters from relatives and friends of the fallen; 4. Lists of names of the fallen for inscription on monument; 5. Letters; photo of lantern tower; 6. Correspondence (the Queen and the Duchess of Vendome); 7. Letters re contributions to memorial land; 8. Financial statements, accounts; 9. Articles from local papers June to August 1925; list of names on monument; 10. Printed matter on memorial garden and commons extension; 11. Newspaper cuttings. XII  Wimbledon & Putney Commons Extension Fund. Newspaper cuttings Sep - Dec 1908. XIII Newspaper cuttings Mar-Jul 1911. XIV  Newspaper cuttings Aug 1911 - Dec 1912. XV - XVI  Newspaper cuttings 1900-19. XVIId Richardson Evans Memorial Playing Fields. Completion of scheme and formal opening 1931.    
Notes
Accession number: LDWIM000616
Class: Manuscripts
Description: Miscellaneous brief notes based on the minutes of meetings of the Local History Group (1980s):  Australians in Wimbledon, inc Anna Wickham. Artists and architects: John Porden, James Wyatt, Judith Tuxon. Famous residents, inc Mansel family. Wimbledon houses, inc. Heathfield House, and 100 Hill Road [Loubcroy]. Wimbledon Common. Wimbledon Friendly Society. Wimbledon Theatre. St. Mark's church. Memories of Wimbledon: Mrs. Maughan, Mrs. Curry, Mrs. Short. Wimbledon builders, inc. Thomas Holloway, H. Sullock and J. Sullock. Nurse children.
Papers
Accession number: LDWIM000618
Class: Manuscripts
Description: First World War (1914-1918) Record and Museum Committee Papers and other material (22 papers including manuscript and typescript letters, printed appeals and other material). A collection of miscellaneous papers covering the period 1914-1924 and mainly concerned with activities in Wimbledon in connection with the War.  Most of the letters are to or from Richardson Evans and include a letter on behalf of the Duchess of Vendome thanking him for his contribution to the work of the Belgian Refugee Committee.  The later material refers to the collection of material for the War Record and Museum Committee, which included members of the John Evelyn Society and the Public Library, and finally resulted in a book Roll of honour Included in the collection is a letter, dated 13 May 1917, from the Mayor of Arras, expressing the gratitude of the people of Arras to the British forces which drove out the Germans, and requesting one of the guns captured in the battle as a souvenir.  
Family tree
Accession number: LDWIM000619
Class: Manuscripts
Description: The family tree of the Mansel Family, (1 sheet in scroll and 4pp. TS notes. Photocopies) starting with Sir Francis Mansel of Muddlescombe Park, Carmarthen, created 1st Baronet in 1621 and concluding with Sir Philip Mansel, 15th Baronet.  It covers the change of name from Mansel to Philipps and back again and the Bond Hopkins connection. Composed by Beatrice Norman Smith.  
Notes
Accession number: LDWIM000620
Class: Manuscripts
Description: Beatrice Norman Smith's TS notes, 4pp, photocopies, accompanying the family tree of the Mansel family. Benjamin Bond-Hopkins and the Mansel/Philipps family, part I. [Part II was meant to deal with the family's land and houses in Wimbledon] (The family tree is a scroll LDWIM000619). There are notes on the coat of arms etc. The typescript notes explain and expand the entries in the tree.
Deed
Accession number: LDWIM000623
Class: Manuscripts
Description: (i)  24 May 1854.  Conveyance (1 sheet.  printed). Rev. Henry Hutton of St. Paul's, Covent Garden in Co. of Middx, Clerk; Rev. Thomas Pelham Dale, of Sion College in the City of London, Clerk, and Robert Obbard, of The Crescent, Blackfriars in sd. City, Esq. To  William Kirby of No.1 Greek St, Soho in Co. of Middx, Gasfitter and Alfred Byard Sheppard of no.18 Lincolns Inn Fields in Co. of Middx, Gentleman (the Trustees) of a plot of land at Wimbledon (called Lot 96 and marked red on the map at junction of 87 Southey Road and Griffiths Road). Consideration  £48. Schedules.   Covenants entered into 28 Jan.1852. Map.  Signed.   (ii)  4 February 1880.  Conveyance (1 sheet MS). Mr.William Kirby of No.1 Greek St., Soho, Gasfitter To  Mr Edwin Gillingham of No.18 Castle St., Longacre in Co. of Middx. of a plot of land situate in Wimbledon (as above) Consideration £100. Schedule.  Covenants as above.  Signed.   (iii)  1 July 1938.  (1 sheet MS). Application for discharge or modification of restrictive covenants on land being part of Merton Grove Estate.  (Lot 96 not mentioned but was also part of Merton Grove Estate)  (see LDWIM000976.)