Manuscripts collection online

manuscriptsThe Manuscripts collection comprises documents relating to Wimbledon including: deeds to property; records of local associations; papers collected by or related to notable local residents; documents relating to the history of local military organisations and hospitals; and parish and vestry records.

Notebook
Accession number: LDWIM000553
Class: Manuscripts
Description: Merton and Morden Civil Defence Directory. A loose-leaf notebook, oblong, 3"x8" approx., cloth cover, leather spine, squared paper pages, interleaved with alphabet. Contains in alphabetical order the names and addresses of organizations and persons involved in Civil Defence in the Merton and Morden District, such as Billeting Officers, Bomb Disposal, Emergency Feeding Teams, Home Guard, Incident Officers, Salvage, etc., with, in some cases, instructions for operations.  There is an "Out message" Form addressed to a Mr. Benjamin and an official notification of alterations, loosely inserted.  A typed and stencilled programme for the Official Farewell Parade of the Merton and Morden Civil Defence Services, on 24 June 1945, is stuck into the beginning.  
Deed
Accession number: LDWIM000555
Class: Manuscripts
Description: Mount Ararat Property: A4.37(a) 1925.  Abstract of title of Frank Edwin Coombs. Ernest Alfred Coombs and Hubert Godwin Coombs to freehold land in Devas Road, Wimbledon (Mount Ararat).    1851. 5 February .  Recites indenture between Courteney Philipps Esq of Sussex Square, London,  Edward Berkeley Philipps and wife Mary Elizabeth Ann Philipps of Brighton to sell to Thomas Devas of Lawrence Lane, City of London. "Mount Ararat", in Parish of Wimbledon. dwelling with outbuildings. pleasure grounds, farm land etc. amounting to 55 acres approx. bounded N. High road Kingston to Wimbledon, E. land of Courteney Philipps,  S. by South Western Railway, W land of Lord Cottenham. (N.B. cites field names inc. Upper Arterbury et al.). Consideration  £7,000. Schedule of abstracted indentures begins with 16 August 1797- Indenture of lease and release between George Chamberlaine and Sir Samuel Hayes (1st part), Richard Mansel Philipps (2nd part), Caroline Bond Hopkins (3rd part), Rev. Charles Bond, Charles William Taylor & Charles Fuller (4th part).  [compare Misc Deeds MS Cat 4.2]. 11 February 1851.  Indenture between Thomas Devas and various bankers etc. to raise mortgage on property of £5,000 at 5%.    There follow records of mortgages raised on property between 1851 and 1873, at which point appears a plan of property divided into lots and marking Pepys Road and Langham Road. 29 November 1870.  Lease to Hay Cooper of piece of land E. of Cottenham Park Road.  99 years lease. 26 September 1873.  Indenture between Thos. Devas and Life Fund Trustees of Guardian Fire and Life Co. to raise mortgage of £13,000 on land coloured red on map attached.  Under agreement Thos. Devas may grant leases etc.;  make roads for public use, enter into contracts for sale of mortgaged land.   Progress of mortgage described in following pages, includes 23 December 1878. schedule of leases and agreements reached by T. Devas the previous years and 16 February 1883. mention that Thos. Devas has at his own cost erected houses to be let on lease, in Arterberry Road, listing names of lessees: Samuel Dickenson 1876, the Misses Rankin 1878, Henry Ihlee 1879 18 Jun., Fred. John Cleaver 1879 12 Dec. 28 July 1880.  Agreement includes proviso that not more than 3 roods be available for church without consideration to mortgagees. 25 July 1890.  Alterations in mortgage arrangements, which now involve beneficiaries of will of Thomas John Bolton, being administered in Chancery Division, requires new description of property with map showing houses now built in Arterberry Road, The Drive, The Ridgway and Cottenham Park Road, and lists lessees (esp. John Sullock) and dates of leases granted by Thomas Devas. Special arrangement now made for lessees of properties as scheduled- roads, drains etc. now taken over by parish.   Map, 11 March  1903, indicates areas now administered by T.E. Devas and James Allen.  Deed then describes various changes in trustees, due to death etc.   Last date in deed 6th February 1922.   A4.37(b) Abstract of the title of the Trustees of Thomas Devas Esq. to freehold land in Wimbledon.   Exactly the same as final part of abstract above, starting from death of Thomas Devas.   Among houses listed in schedule of 1890 are Durrington House for which Hay Cooper had 90 year lease in 1878, which passed to Ross Duffield 1885.    In The Ridgway   Hollywood, Knapton House, Ridgfield, Thornleigh, Cronberg.    In Arterberry Road   Kilmoney, Inglewood, Kingsgarn, and others. N.B. many leases on building land granted to John Sullock.  
Notes
Accession number: LDWIM000558
Class: Manuscripts
Description: Notes on the history of Lauriston House prepared by A.W. Hughes Clarke (? in the 1930s) for Sir Arthur Fell, mentioning the owners of the property since 1684 with some details of their careers and of the building and re-building of the house.  Mention is made of both the Wilberforces the elder of whom employed Angelica Kauffman to decorate the staircase.  (MS. duodecimo. 6pp.). See LDWIM000696. (and a second copy)  
Deed
Accession number: LDWIM000560
Class: Manuscripts
Description: Abstract of Title of Mr. Alfred Crocker to  four pieces of land fronting on Worple Road, with 2 semi-detached houses and 1 detached house. 8 July, 1889. 1st Recital  4 September 1860.  Indenture between Courtenay Philipps and George Charles Carpenter of 1st part; Courtenay Philipps of 2nd part; Edward Berkeley Philipps and Mary Elizabeth Ann Philipps his wife of 3rd part; John Edward Walters of 4th part; the Rev. George Carpenter aforesaid and John Winch of 5th part; and the said Edward Berkeley Philipps of 6th part, regarding division of a Wimbledon estate between G. Philipps and B. Philipps. Last Recital  1889.  Indenture between London Joint Stock Bank of 1st part; T. Salt of 2nd part; J.M. Brackenbury of 3rd part; and Alfred Crocker of 4th part; concluding sale to Crocker of 4 pieces of land and 3 houses as above. Paper.   34 sheets + 4 plans.      
Deed
Accession number: LDWIM000561
Class: Manuscripts
Description: Deeds A 4.39(1) to A.4.39(3): A.4.39(1). 1929.  Abstract of Title of A. Thornton Bobby Esq. to  freehold land in Hunter Road, Wimbledon in the County of Surrey. 17 March 1899.  Recites will of Thomas Devas, appointing his son Thomas Ernest Devas and his friend Mr. James Allen of Warrington House, Duppas Hill, Croydon. Surrey (Solicitor) his executors and trustees and bequeathing to them all his messes, lands, tenements and hereditaments situate at Wimbledon, with full powers to sell, rent, lease etc. including making roads and drainage and making some over to the Council. 15 July 1900.  Thomas Devas died. 6 August 1900.  Will proved. 11 May 1908.  James Allen being desirous of retiring from position as trustee, Ernest William Devas and Robert C. Hunter appointed to take his place. September 1908.  Thomas E. Devas died. November 1921.  R.C. Hunter died.   New trustees E.W. Devas and Kenneth Owen Hunter. 10 June 1926.  Conveyance between E.Wm. Devas and K.D. Hunter (the vendors) and Sam Whitehead of St. George's Road, Wimbledon, builder (the purchaser).  Consideration   £1145.10.00. The unsold portion of the Mount Ararat Estate on the south side of newly formed Hunter Road, with frontage on Pepys Road. 12 December 1926. Sam Whitehead sold to A.T. Bobby (see Conveyance below). 3 maps.  11pp. TS. Schedule lists various mortgages on the Mount Ararat estate, raised 1873-1905. A4.39(2). 13 December 1926.  Conveyance between Sam Whitehead of 5 St.George's Road, Wimbledon in the County of Surrey, builder and Albert Thornton Bobby of No.5 Grosvenor Hill, Wimbledon (the purchaser) of land on new formed Hunter Road, with messuage and outbuildings, to be known as 11 Hunter Road, with right of way along Hunter Road until it shall be taken over by the Council. Consideration  £1725. Schedule Lists restrictions under Covenant controlling development of the Mount Ararat Estate. Signature. Copy of MS with handwritten marginal notes.  4pp.     A4.39(3). 21 February 1938.  Assent to the vesting of the real estate of Mrs. F.E. Fleming, deceased, late of 11 Hunter Road, Wimbledon, in John McTurk of 3 St. Stephen's Street, Bristol, as trustee, with power to appoint new trustees.    With memorandum, 12th April 1961, of Conveyance by trustees of 11 Hunter Road, to R.C.D. Haig.
Deed
Accession number: LDWIM000569
Class: Manuscripts
Description: 1901.  Abstract of title of the Wimbledon House Estate Company Ltd. to Freehold Property situate at Wimbledon in the County of Surrey.   (See file in Box B on Map chest) (i)  11 August 1857.  Contract for sale by Joseph Marryat of King William St. in the City of London and Maesydderwen, Glamorgan Esq., and Mary his wife to Henry Peek of Clapham Park Surrey, Esq. (afterwards Sir H.W. Peek, Bart) of Wimbledon House (facing Wimbledon Common) and approx. 90 acres of land, with outbuildings etc.). Consideration  £27,650. (Excellent map of property and detailed description, including precise boundaries, arrangement of outbuildings and other amenities, as Mill House Field, Grotto Field, Upper and Lower Park, the Wilderness).   (ii)  21 November 1883.  Conveyance by John Augustus Beaumont of 15 Stratton St., Piccadilly, Esq. to Sir Henry William Peek of Wimbledon House of "All that farm known as the Dairy Farm" of just over 2 acres, and part of the footpath on said farm running from Somerset Road to Wimbledon Park Road (Dairy Walk) and subject to right of way from Atherton Grange to Somerset Road.   (iii)  16 December 1873.  Will of Robert Graham of Trip Lane in the City of London, Merchant of Gartmore, Wimbledon, leaves Gartmore to his wife and son William Graham. 30 September 1889.  Conveyance of Gartmore and land, including area between Durham Road (now Somerset Road) and Dairy Walk, by William Graham to Sir Henry William Peek. Consideration  £9,000. Map.   (iv)  13 May 1898.  Will of Sir Henry William Peek appoints son Cuthbert Edgar Peek as executor and the Rt. Hon. William St.John Fremantle Brodrick, PC, Hon. L.A. Brodrick, Hon.A.G. Brodrick, trustees. All Wimbledon property bequeathed to son. 26 August 1898.  Sir Henry William Peek died. 26 April 1899.  Conveyance by Sir Cuthbert Edgar Peek (the vendor), the three Brodricks as above (the Trustees), Edwyn Barclay of The Brewery, Park St., Southwark and George Hubbard of 23 Finsbury Circus, architect, and the Wimbledon House Estate Co.Ltd. (registered office: 23 Finsbury Circus)) (the purchasers) of Wimbledon House with land and outbuildings. Consideration  £160,000 15pp.  Part MS, part printed.  4 maps.