Artefacts collection online

artefactsThe Artefacts collection can best be summed up as the 'social history' or 'community history' collection. It comprises around 300 items, mostly from the period 1850-1980, of which about half are on permanent display in the themed cases within the museum.

Most of the 'things' you see in the museum which do not fall into the other collection categories will probably be in artefacts. As such, it is an extremely diverse and exciting array of local material.

Key ring
Accession number: LDWIM011081
Class: Artefacts
Description: Key ring and fob commemorating the centenary of the tennis at Wimbledon. Metal ring attached to clear plastic fob with roundel inside with a gold image of the Centre Court on one side with ‘WIMBLEDON’ and ‘1877 · 1977’. Crossed rackets and ball on reverse with ‘THE CHAMPIONSHIPS WIMBLEDON’ around rim. Purchased by the donor’s mother in 1977. Length: 62 mm. Width (max): 36 mm. Made in England c.1977.
Mug
Accession number: LDWIM011082
Class: Artefacts
Description: Ceramic souvenir mug of the centenary of the Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Championships held at the All England Lawn Tennis Club in Church Road. White mug with on-glaze pictorial transfer of the ivy-clad facade of Centre Court inscribed beneath ‘1877 Wimbledon 1977’. On other side of mug a ten line descriptive historical summary transfer of The Championships at Wimbledon. Purchased by the donor’s mother in 1977. Height: 92 mm; diameter: 80 mm; width (including handle): 109 mm. Made in England by John Tams Ltd. of Longton, Stoke-on-Trent 1977.
Plaque
Accession number: LDWIM011087
Class: Artefacts
Description: Wall plaque in oak retrieved from Rosemary Lodge care and nursing home, upon closure in 2013. Inscribed: ‘ROSEMARY LODGE WAS GIVEN IN 1946 TO THE WIMBLEDON GUILD of SOCIAL SERVICE IN LOVING MEMORY OF MARY EDITH SANDERSON WHO LIVED HERE FROM 1930 TO 1940 A GENEROUS GRANT TOWARDS THE INITIAL EXPENSES OF THE HOME, WAS RECEIVED FROM THE NATIONAL AIR RAID DISTRESS FUND OF THE LORD MAYOR OF LONDON’. Inscription meticulously carved by fretwork upon a thin veneer of oak with each letter individually filled by plastic or ivory inlay to create a flush varnished finish. The reverse has a pair of screw mounts and a length of nylon hanging cord. Width: 495 mm. Height: 282 mm. Thickness: 20 mm. Probably made in England circa 1946.
« Start Previous 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 Next End »